Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bye-bye Zoogie

2/26: it is 10:40pm. Sophia is finally asleep.
We have attempted getting rid of her zoogie before- I think it was a year ago, maybe more. I was tired of interrupted sleep and midnight bedroom searches on hands and knees for a pacifier that was hard to find in daylight! After 2 hours of uninterrupted sobbing I caved, and figured we'd be paying for braces anyway.... That was then.
Last night, our 3.5 year old was up a couple of times, but one of those times involved a search for zoogie which she could not find.
The little darling has been potty-trained since she was two.... Well you choose your battles, I choose mine, I suppose.:)
I had mentioned to her a couple of days ago that soon the Zoogie Fairy would come for the rest of the zoogies and finish the necklace she started a while ago. To this she simply said, 'No'. I asked what she would like if this happened (figuring it was reward time). Sophia said she would snuggle with Woawie, Woawie and Other One Woawie.
So the four of them are in bed now. She may just have collapsed from exhaustion. It only took her 2 hours and much wailing, weeping, begging and at least one lie ( she came downstairs when I was changing and told Anthony that I'd said she could have it) to get to sleep. We cuddled and coloured, snacked and snuggled, and in the end, she asked if she could 'just go to sleep'. The end of an era... And no- this girl is stubborn so I am by no means thinking that this over.:)

2/27 @ 3am: Sophia woke up crying. Since she shares a room with her sisters, I brought her in with us. Poor thing is having a particularly bad excema flare up. I have considered whether she's having a reaction to something, but I can't figure out what. She has welts on her arms and legs from scratching. I gave her some Benadryl in the hope that it would calm the itching, but I also think the itching is worse because she's upset. Does that make sense? As she usually does, once she settles down, she chose to go back to her own bed, where she stayed. I expected it, and it's still way better than I imagined.

2/27: there was much cheering and encouragement from her sisters this morning- Sophia went all night without Zoogie (we'll not discuss the middle of the night events:) ). She got to put stars on her calendar, and I said we could get her very own box of markers so that she could colour her calendar. (Hitherto she has been banned from markers, since any walls or furniture with artwork on them, were art-free until the arrival of Miss Sophia.)
2/28: seems like Zoogie is just another story we'll talk about some day.:) Sophia still woke at 3. Since I was awake anyway, it didn't matter. According to our beloved accupuncturist, Cory, 3-5 am is 'lung time'. According to her there is also a link between lung issues and exzema. Poor kid is still scratching herself raw.

She's not asked for it since the first night. Hopefully, another parenting challenge done and dusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment