Thursday, May 24, 2012

The dead bush

Doesn't look very dead, does it?

Well, Anthony and an avid, amateur gardener friend went to the garden center a few springs ago. Note to self: go along next time.
They returned with a small fortune in shrubs. As with most intentions, the planting didn't happen. We therefore had one not very pleased spouse, one too busy spouse and two very brown, quite dead shrubs.... Or rather twigs in pots. I wish I had photos. Because I don't think you could understand just how dead it looked.

It stayed on the side of the house- its original landing site all through winter. The following spring, I put it on the back porch. Maybe because I couldn't bear the thought of throwing it out. Maybe because the anger had dissipated and hope was left. Maybe because it was a wet spring, and God is in the business of making dead things grow. When it didn't rain, I watered it.I watered it and by this time, the water just went right through. Still, I watered.... the soil started retaining moisture and one day, there was one green leaf.The colour of hope must be green.

Yes. God is in the business of bringing dead things back to life, and making them grow.




No comments:

Post a Comment