Saturday, November 3, 2012

Remembering

There are moments that one wants to remember.  The things that you are so certain you will never forget. People you will never forget. How could you get to a place in your mind, where the precious things, the precious people are gone?

I have a beloved aunt who suffers from, and yes, I think 'suffers' is accurate, early onset Alzheimer's.  I am going home, and besides my immediate family, she is the one I long most to see.  I wonder if she'll remember me.  Not that I should stand out amongst the nieces and nephews. There are certainly those who live closer, have closer relationships…. but I DO wish to be remembered, and I am sad at the thought that I possibly may not be.

I think Mamma (Mummy's mother) perhaps had Alzheimer's.  After the fact, it would have explained so much.

I am reading this book. It was recommended to me by a friend some time ago, when I spoke about my aunt. Still Alice by Lisa Genova.  I have not finished yet, and my heart breaks for the central character in this book.

Do you know how, if you ever did a year or two or three in Psych, you study abnormal psychology?  Suffice it to say, that by the end of the semester, we all thought we were fit for a mental institution. Perhaps because there lies in each of us that 'little bit'.  The one cup shy of a gallon which would make us certifiable.  You start seeing the manic, bipolar, depressed 'you', and until you realize that we've all got a bit of crazy, but a little bit of crazy is normal, it can well nigh drive you crazy!!

So…. This book scares me, because it brings to the surface  fears. Fears that , Mamma, Aunty….. it filters down.  That the Mummy Mush Porridge Brain, the Sleep Deprived Forgetful me… is perhaps not just that.

That the times when I have driven somewhere and forgotten why, or forgotten to mail the IRS check that I went to the post office to mail and cried when I realized at 9pm what had happened, or printed labels, put them away, and two minutes later couldn't remember where I found them to reprint….could. not. find. them.  The panic that rises is suffocating when it happens.

I wonder which is worse for those who go through this. The losing of oneself and being aware of it, or the  frustration of a world determined to be 'against' you.

Why did I get the book now?  Because I want to understand when I go home, and she perhaps doesn't want me there, or gets nasty.  I am glad to have known her as sweet and kind and gentle, because I know I may not see 'her' this time.

Breathe. Sleep. Rest. Live. Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment