Trying to have an attitude of gratitude today!
I drove to work this morning, and it stunk, plain and simple. Prayed over and over "Please Lord- just get me there?"
He did. I almost turned around a couple of times.
I've come to dislike the snow intensely. As in: no joy..whatsoever…well, not really, because the kids love it, and so I enjoy their enjoyment of it.
So as I drove with hammering heart and clenched stomach this morning, I was mad….at all the people who ever wished for snow this winter; that we live here, that I have to go to work in it……and beware the soul who made a Facebook status about how pretty it is!!…..:( Not nice. Not happy. Woooooo she was angry this morning!
So, in an attempt to unclench my stomach and add a few years to my life, I tried to think (REALLY?!) of all the things I could be thankful for instead…without going off the road of course.
So today, as it snows/ sleets/ rains and the thunder rolls outside, I am thankful for being healthy enough to get up this morning (yeah at first not so much…days like this you kinda wish you had the 'flu or something); Thankful that I had a job to go to; Thankful that I got there safely; Thankful that I work in the sort and not outside in the weather (yes, it could be worse); Thankful that the girls had a snow day, because it made things simpler, and we got to have some extra time together; Thankful that because Anthony rescheduled his appointments, I could stay for a bit (at work) and wait until the roads were clearer; Thankful that the roads were indeed clearer for most of the way home; ….
I am sure I could go on. But we have heard it countless times, haven't we? That once you start being thankful instead of grrrrrful, it's hard to hold onto the grrrr.
Sophia was rather upset earlier. She asked for candy, then a movie, then to play with my phone, my computer, the iPad, etc. I said no to all, since she had had a fair bit of screen time, and had had both sweets and a cookie. I suggested fruit, Cheezits (yes, I know!! super healthy!), playing a board game, reading a book, playing with the multitudes of toys they have. She's usually a 'my way or the highway" kinda girl, so I knew what was going to happen. She was going to angrily storm upstairs (where she was sent) be mad for a bit, and then wonder of wonders, she would find some diversion that had nothing to do with electronics. And she did.:)
I may always dislike the snow from now on. I may still storm about angrily from time to time unfortunately. I'm still going to pray that the highway could be plowed a bit better, but I know, that being here, living here, I'm not likely to get sun all year long, and I'll likely have to drive in it again under similar circumstances.
But I am asking God to help with the reshaping of me, regardless of the circumstances.
To be content right here, right now.
P.S. when I got to work, and sat down to do my stuff, I put Pandora on and one of my favourites played. Steven Curtis Chapman's 'Do Everything'. That, and the cutest pic of Sophia that Anthony texted, made me smile.:)

No comments:
Post a Comment