Thursday, May 16, 2013

A little less heart

Sometimes, I worry that the girls don't care enough.... Aren't compassionate enough.... Are too much like me.
I think aside from the lofty dreams we secretly harbour for them, most people just want their kids to be nice people. 
I have no illusions about their imperfections. Don't love them any less for it, but I see them quite clearly, and I guess we pray harder.

But sometimes- and no, not so seldom that I wonder "hey who are you and what have you done with my kids!"- just sometimes, there are moments that stand apart from the rest. That melt my heart. Mummy always uses this Afrikaans expression "om net jou hart so 'n bietjie te steel". It means 'to steal your heart'. 
To do a kindness not for anything other than the pleasure it would bring to the recipient.

So tonight- I heard movement in my bedroom ( probably the creakiest floor in the house!) and wondered what was happening. 
I had a long, tiring day... sort of rough. I peeked into the room after I prayed with them, and the pillows were fixed nicely and the covers turned down and the lights on.  It's a simple thing, but they know what they know, and they knew I would understand and appreciate the gesture.

I don't think I could love these girls more.

And tonight, there's a little less of my heart, because it was stolen by theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment