Monday, June 3, 2013

Growing up is hard to do

For me....
My oldest girl and I started this journal around her 10th birthday.  It's really good, and I'd recommend it. 

She's been asking to shave her legs for a while now. I have put her off for a couple of reasons: once you start the shaving thing, there's no going back (except in winter, when hairy legs could potentially be used as weapons of mass destruction); secondly, she's 10.... 10! :-(

Well, one night the journal had a question about the kind of relationship I had with my mum, and how it affected the kind of mum I became (positively or negatively).
Mummy and I have always gotten on well. I think that subconsciously, I parent in a lot of the same ways. Not everything, but she has left her mark on me.

When it was her turn to answer the question, I just had to laugh at what she wrote! The gist of it was something along the lines of: I would let my daughter shave her legs so that a boy named "Bobby" cannot call me a gorilla because of the hair on my legs, and then my good friend named "Anna" would tell him off.

Mmmm.

What has happened to kids just being kids?!

We've had a bit of a heatwave this past week. My girls (older) refused to wear shorts because they are embarrassed about the hairy legs. 

Ai!

We had our bible study conference this past weekend and on both Saturday and Sunday mornings, one of them all but dissolved into a puddle  because they couldn't find stockings which would, yes, hide the legs!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

There was nothing to be done about it on a weekend that barely had room to change your mind, much less go out on a mission to find a razor (although I might have been a little saner if I had!)

So, on my Target shopping list today, I put 'Shaver x2'.

It is with a bit of heart- heaviness that I report: Mission Accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment