Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Change... Refocus... Refresh

So about Lent.....

I've probably said this before but I grew up in a reformed environment ( is that the right way of saying it?), where Lent was not observed formally.
Probably more so now, where any connection with 'church practices' are steered clear of, we've lost some of the precious things that could add to, rather than detract from, our faith.
Any time in the Scriptures, where fasting took place, great things happened!
John Piper has an amazing book " A Hunger for God".

I suppose, I believe that fasting is a good way to set my world to rights.... God in His place, marriage in it's place, the kids in theirs. Appetites and hearts being changed.

Many years ago now, a friend challenged me to not eat chocolate for the Lenten period. My reward was.... REALLY good chocolate! Haha. Of course I did it, and the chocolate was REALLY GOOD!

These days, it's hard. Hey, some people use drugs.... Some people eat chocolate. They're both Band Aids.:(

BUT: I have found over and over again, that as I focus on Him, my world is right. I am not very disciplined. My stictoitiveness is not so.... Uhm... Sticky.:(

However: I am (don't panic) going to use this period before Easter as a kickstart for renewal.
In honor of Fat Tuesday, I started my Insanity workout again. ;-)
For the reconditioning of my heart and mind, I have started The Romans Project. You can see in the top right corner which verse I am memorizing. ( The girls and I are also doing their Sunday school verses together, so if a non-Romans one appears, that's what it is.:)

Hopefully, a 46-day Total Person Reconditioning.:)



No comments:

Post a Comment