Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Nostalgia and ramblings...

I have been watching this documentary on Netflix...in spurts.  Vegucated.

I can't watch stuff like this without feeling uncomfortable...  However, after 13 years of marriage, I think Anthony would possibly consider divorce if I suggested anything but a meat-friendly household. ;-o


Since watching Food Inc., we have made subtle changes to where our food comes from....I said subtle.

We buy beef from a small farm in Vermont, and bought pork last fall from someone we knew who raised 4 pigs. We knew what they ate, how they were treated, and we feel better about feeding it to our children. They were named Eenie, Meenie, Miny and Moe....I really don't care to know which one resides in the freezer right now.

I was a little girl, maybe around  my older girls' ages, when on one of our farm visits, Pappa slaughtered a chicken for supper.  I can STILL see the chicken running around headless. When chicken appeared on the table that night, I believe I gagged it down. All I could see was the headless chicken.  I like a suitable distance between my food and I.....like already packaged.  I would make an awesome vegetable farmer.... but I don't think I could eat anything I have raised.  I think Gabriella is headed for vegetarianism. It annoys Anthony no end!!!  *chuckle*

I have to say, I don't like watching the awful treatment of these animals in these slaughterhouses, and yet, i can't say that I have a problem eating meat.  Some might say that if they're going to be eaten anyway, what does it matter where they come from and how they're treated?  Well, for some reason, and I'm not even sure what, it does matter. 
Occasionally, I can't, because of a certain taste or smell....not because it's bad, but just because it catches me funny. Hard to explain.  Mummy's the same way, and she's the original farm girl!  I have often said that all that stands between me and vegetarianism is a bone-in pork chop off the grill/ braai/ bbq.

It's getting to be that time of the year again....promise of spring, and vegetable gardens, and WARMTH!  I have been so cold.  I would love to get chickens....for eggs.  My other half is not too keen, but I'd like to have access to eggs that are right here in my yard.:)

I miss Pappa most in the springtime. When I'm in the garden, earth between my fingers and toes. Watching things grow.  It's as though he's right there with me.

Rambling thoughts today. No I won't go Vegan.... Possibly vegetarian on odd days and  a good ole pork chop on the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment